Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Method to the Madness

If you think it's kinda hard out here for a pimp, imagine how hard it is for a female blogger. Especially one that puts herself out there as much as I do. Baring my soul on the internet and showcasing to the world not just the good, the bad, and the ugly - but the neurotic, the crazy, the lewd, and the bi-polar as well. Obviously, it's more my fault than anyone else's because I choose what goes on here, and no one has a gun to my head yelling "Publish!" But I can't help but think it would be a different story if I had a penis in between my legs ... well you know, not in the way one normally is *ba-dump-bump*.

Now I wouldn't go as far as saying that the blogosphere is sexist, but it definitely plays favorites.

Especially with readers of the opposite sex. When a man writes about love he's admirable. When I write about love, I'm typical. When a man writes about sex, he's a pimp. When I write about sex, I'm a whore. When a man writes about heartache, he's sensitive. When I write about heartache, I'm unstable. When a man writes about being alone, he's a bachelor. When I write about being alone, I'm lonely. When a man writes about being crazy for someone, he's honest. When I write about being crazy for someone, I'm just CRAZY.

Not that we write to get laid, but for the most part male bloggers attract women while I feel as if some of my posts make men want to run for the hills. I actually know a girl who probably masturbates to Jozen's blog and would jump on him given the chance (and no it's not me lol). But I feel like if a stranger of the opposite sex thought I was cute and read my blog he'd think, "Oh fuck this crazy bitch, I'm outta here!" While I could never be with a man that didn't support my writing, I would definitely be cautious when introducing him to it. I think it would hinder our relationship more than help it.

At the same time though, men tend to see male bloggers that write about more than sports, and fucking as soft, simps, or even traitors that break every man rule in the book. While for the most part, women find Raaachem's words inspiring, and her voice empowering. Thus, I realize that it's not just the blogosphere. It's the atmosphere. Sexist stereotypes are nothing new, only its outlets are. I don't expect to break every stereotype either, especially when some of them are TRUE.

'Cuz I am dysfunctional, and brash. I get lonely, and cry over SPCA commercials. But I can also be logical, and chill, and all sorts of other amazing things as well. And guess what? I'm not the only one. The only difference is - I document it on here.

So if anything, I hope that this helps you understand how simply complex some women can be. That there is in fact a method to our madness. Then, maybe you'll know the difference between "No," and "No." So that if we go out on a date where we laugh all night and practically finish each others sentences, and I even give you a kiss good-night ... but don't answer your phone call the next day, then you'll know why.

11 comments:

Mouf.Peace said...

i hate leaving disclaimers because they just make the post aesthetically ugly but **editor's note** yes i am aware this is a general and sexist perspective. that is the point.

Anonymous said...

I know what it feels like to have my S-O Google my name and find my old friendster/myspace account cache.. I can't imagine the shit you go through to with nosy possible prospects. LOL

ralphietavira.tumblr.com said...

Bravo. I completely agree. I've had guys read my stuff, look at me and say, "damn girl you're crazy." Yep, never heard from them again lol. But it goes as far as females too. I've had some tell me that I'm "too out there." But, they cream their pants over Jozens latest post. Anyways, you keep this up aslong as you have ten toes and fingers cuz you an Rach are breaking down barriers in the world of blogging :)

The HI Life said...

amen to that sister! I feel the same way when I write my blogs! :) The difference that us women have is that we are not afraid to admit what we are feeling and thinking. :) keep it hun, You are fab!

Se7en said...

Where is this philosophy/idea coming from exactly Gem?

Se7en said...

Your answer is much simpler than you might imagine - women respond to the written word much greater than men do. Therefore while men may dig your blog or relate to a specific post wholeheartedly.... they are [usually] just not going to be able to articulate it in response (or even take the time to - but that is becoming more common equally amongst the sexes presently).

P.S. I am probably one of the few whom do not relate to Jozen's blog or his writing.

Anonymous said...

I completely can see where you're coming from and I just wanted to tell you that you are an amazing writer. Fuck what people say. It's the way people are conditioned to think. Not saying that it's right or anything but that just shows how arrogant some people can be... they automatically think one way and never stop to question their thinking. You know what, people may be hating on your blog, but they keep coming back. I love your blog and I hope you never stop. I can relate to everything you say. You're an amazing writer!

Mouf.Peace said...

aw thanks guys. this post mostly stemmed from my frustration and jealousy (lol) over how men can get away with certain things women can't. although i am very aware we can sometimes get away with so much more ;)

Se7en said...

@Anonymous

No disrespect, but I did not get this as a post dedicated to haters or anything of the like.

Am I missing the point? Was that the point of this topic? Are people talking negatively about this blog in particular? Are those whom visit and read not open minded? (Seriously asking/wondering) #confused

Mouf.Peace said...

while i'm sure not everyone agrees or likes what i write, this post wasn't intended at all for any "haters," i may hae but thank u everyone for the support regardless!

Unknown said...

I love what you write...you & Raachem are an inspiration to me. Keep shining mama!