Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happiness Loves Company

A while ago I read a book on positive thinking per the suggestion of my boss. All my life, I've managed to think and stay positive for everyone except for myself. So of course, I was naturally reluctant to pick up the book. It screamed, "Cheesy, spiritual hippie bullshit." And not that I have anything against spiritual shit, hippies, or even cheese - I just thought I was so far gone and too much of a pessimist to be helped. See what I'm sayin? LOL.

But because my boss is good folks, and because I enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing, and because I figured that it wouldn't kill me, I began page 1 of Mike Robbins' Focus on the Good Stuff: The Power of Appreciation. The title already made me apprehensive but I managed to read the book in a day ... kicking myself in the ass every chapter.

Now. This book didn't change my life or solve my problems. Hell, I'm even still negative in regards to certain things, but it was a good book. It was good because through it, I was able to learn a lot about myself. Before, I was so negative that I didn't even realize it. I didn't think twice before saying something negative or putting myself down, it was just automatic. And while I wouldn't say that the glass is always half full nowadays, I can definitely say it ain't half empty either.

There were a few chapters in this book that I found interesting, one of which explored the concept of how unhappy people make fun of those who are. It reminded me of another blog I occasionally visit for her makeup tutorials: Kandee the Make-Up Artist. Her tagline reads: "The happiest place on the internet," which alone, is enough to make a pessimist wanna step on and crush someone's rose-colored glasses. But her website and the negative comments I've read about her are a perfect example of that specific chapter in Robbins' book.

It questions how people question the happiness of others. And then I remembered the very first time I stumbled upon her blog and thought to myself, "How can she always be so fucking sun-shiny, rainbows, and roses, cup-cakes and fairy-dust HAPPY?" I know, I know - FOR SHAME. As ridiculous as I thought she was for being so "positive," I was even more ridiculous for being irritated by it. 'Cuz really, what on Earth is wrong with being POSITIVE?

Absolutely nothing.

So one day I tried it. Yah, I felt silly. But it only got easier from there. And even if I'm just tricking myself into thinking things are good, it's way better than when I was convincing myself things were all bad. Now, the mornings are worth getting up for, and the nights are more serene. Sometimes, I'll tweet or fb something positive and motivational and even get a little sick of myself lol. But it's true that negativity only breeds more negativity, and by doing so you don't even give yourself a chance to be happy. And why wouldn't YOU want YOU to be happy?

5 comments:

feebs said...

AH this made me realise im such a negative nancy sometimes! im gonna put my happy pants on tomorrow and strut my happy self all around town. thanks for the inspiration!

Mouf.Peace said...

happy pants? LMAO. that's so cute, i love. i totally imagined a pair of like rainbow trousers with glitter and unicorns or some shit. anyway you should check out that other website too, she's like extremely positive and happy lol.

linh said...

somewhat relevant to this post. one piece of advice i got from reading "eat, pray, love" is all you gotta do is smile to have good energy. "...smile with face, smile with mind, and good energy will come to you and clean away dirty energy." i have practiced this every night before bed for the past half year and it really works, and it only takes a few minutes. haha, cheesy, yes, but it does make life much better!

i'm glad to hear you're happier now. =D

Mouf.Peace said...

@linh read it! are u going to watch the movie? some more tips: if you're feeling down or if you're nervous about something, like an interview or a speech, just do something STUPID beforehand lol. whenever i'd be driving somewhere and feeling anxiety i'd do this vocal warm up i learned in middle school. it sounds really stupid but as soon as i'd do it i'd start laughing at my own crazy lol. also, if i'm crying, i'll look at myself in the mirror and end up laughing 'cuz i am not a cute cryer i look fucking ridiculous lol.

linh said...

definitely going to watch the movie...i've got a few gf's lined up for it already, hahahaha.

i look UGLY crying!! i started looking at myself when i'm crying to make myself stop because of it recently.

imma try that vocal warm up trick. i used to sing in a church choir and i would show up to practice late to avoid the dreaded warm up. hahaha.