Thursday, June 25, 2009

This is bad, real bad Michael Jackson

So unless u live under a rock 10,000 leagues under the sea or are even more of a tech-tard than I am (no ones more of a tech tard than me) u should know by now that Michael Jackson has passed away. They do say it comes in threes: Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and now our beloved King of Pop. It's all so surreal.

There was a lot of controversy surrounding the mans life, and there are certain aspects of it than I do not agree with. However, nobody can deny that Michael Jackson was a pioneer and legend in the music industry.

But while his sudden death definitely comes as a shock to me, what's even more crazy is how fast the news spread thanks to technology such as MySpace, Facebook, instant messaging, and Twitter. As soon as I walked into my building from lunch it was on the news. When I sat down I was bombarded with status updates, texts messages, aims, and emails. I currently have over 3 pages worth of R.I.P. Michael Jackson headlines on FB and I've had 3 people tell me that Twitter is over capacity and they're unable to send any messages.

Jacko's death pretty much stopped the internet in its tracks. Whatever happened to picking up the phone with an "ooooh girrrrrrl did u hear?" I almost forget what we ever did before Iphones and G1s! I wonder how long it would've taken for the news to circulate without them? God forbid we actually have to talk to someone?

Anyway, that's besides the point. I was just so overwhelmed by how quickly news spread by so many people. I'm pretty sure I'll be spending the rest of the day listening to a Michael Jackson playlist along with the rest of the world.

And on that note, his death suddenly doesn't seem so sad. I don't know a single person who's a fan of music or in the entertainment industry who hasn't been influenced by him. Like I mentioned in a previous entry, people die. However, Michael Jackson's musical legacy will live forever.



On repeat tonight:

My all time favorites: The Way You Make Me Feel, Pretty Young Thing, and Rock With You.

What's yours?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yea that news traveled hella fast. i got alerted on my AP mobile app on my iphone, then arnold text me, then i checked online and it was confirmed. =(

at work we had a "name ur top 5 michael jackson songs" convo not too long ago. sooo here's my five, in no particular order.

Remember the time
P.Y.T.
Rock With You
Billie Jean
Stop The Love You Save

another significant moment in time happening in our lifetime...crazy.

Anonymous said...

I cannot get over this.

I used to talk to Michael by phone when I was younger (and no... to whomever is reading this... NOTHING inappropriate went on).

My mother was a friend with the Jackson family so I grew up on all of their music... from the Motown days... to "Off the Wall..." "Thriller..." "Bad."

:(

I cannot believe such a talented man (and that is what he was) is gone.

Ruined my day yesterday... still down today.