Monday, December 20, 2010

Do For Like

I know a girl who once took BART all the way from Millbrae to Embarcadero and then hopped on another train all the way to Dublin/Pleasanton. The very next day she took the same Dublin/Pleasanton train to 12th and Oakland, transferred back onto the SFO/Millbrae train, and then finally hopped on the L-train home - ALL FOR A DUDE.

For those of you NOT from the Bay, lemme break it down to you like this:

This may not sound like much to some but this is the same girl who was also too lazy to take a 15 minute drive to get some Wingstop for dinner so she starved instead.

But this wasn't just any dude, this was a dude she knew would've done the same for her ... if he hadn't already called in sick and drove an hour and a half just to lay next to her for a few hours, or dropped bread on her flight just so they could wake up next to each other on the other side of the continent even though they weren't even boyfriend or girlfriend ... yet.

It never ceases to amaze me, the things we are capable of doing for the person we care about. The ends we are willing to meet just to be able to squish their face in between your hands or receive a kiss from them on your shoulder. The things we do, for like - which of course then get shitted on by the things we do for LOVE.

Everyone has their own limits, promises they make to themselves that have nothing to do with the other party. But the fact we even consider smearing the line says a lot. Because when we really feel for someone, like the saying goes: "If there's a will, there's a way." And if there isn't one? Often times, we'll make one.

So remember that the next time you make excuses for someone. Someone you know deep down inside is "just not that into you." Be reasonable, but don't lie to yourself. Because if someone I was crazy about drove from LA to SF for me and I was 1 phone call away from seeing them - I don't give a fuck WHAT I was doing. Taking a shit, at lunch, or moving, you best believe I got a death grip on my phone so I don't miss his call.

People get busy. They have basketball practice, a paper to write, and baby showers to attend, but even the president has time to take his wife out to dinner every week. There's a difference between someone being busy, and someone just being too busy for YOU.

3 comments:

ashley sade said...

shit like this trips me out, cuz sometimes i be doin' the most JUST for my man & i know for daaaaamn sure i wouldnt do the same for anybody else LOL.

Unknown said...

Damn, I swear you know what's going on in my head! Another great post, Abi! Your posts are like crack, I just can't stay away! Hahaha!

Mouf.Peace said...

@ash it's ok though, that's your mans!

@sheryl haha thanks, in that case no rehab for you!