Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Lesson Learned ... Again.

"I have a tendency not only to see the best in everyone, but to assume that everyone is emotionally capable of reaching his highest potential. I have fallen in love more times than I care to count with the highest potential of a man, rather than with the man himself, and I have hung on to the relationship for a long time (sometimes far too long) waiting for the man to ascend to his own greatness. Many times in romance I have been a victim of my own optimism."
-Elizabeth Gilbert
I. Fucked. Up. I'm sorry.

I thought that my witty blogs, inspiring quotes, and hard-hitting punchlines would not necessarily change a man - but at least speed up what I thought would be inevitable. WRONG. I thought that by remaining solid as a rock despite being constantly shut out, he would recognize the loyalty in my love. WRONG. I thought that by psycho diagnosing him, he would be cured. WRONG.

I now realize that all I did was just make shit worse. Because nobody likes to be told they're wrong. Nobody likes to be reminded about their issues. And nobody likes to be be preached to, especially by someone that's battling their own demons. I guess I just couldn't help but see the God in him.

And that is my biggest flaw.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. NO EXCUSES. Now let's hope I actually listen to my own advice this time. If someone can't see the God in themselves, throwing the bible at their face won't help them see clearer. If someone doesn't see the God in you on their own, walking on water won't make them a believer.

So please, for your own sanity, just leave it alone. Let them be. If they want to be with you, they will. And if they're stupid enough to walk away, be smart enough to let them go.


No comments: