Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Keeping it 20/20

I am well aware that I've posted this song at least 3 times already, most recently with the same exact title. But, it's been a favorite of mine ever since I heard it years ago. It immediately makes me feel better, even if nothing strenuous is going on in my life. It sends out a good message without sounding too preachy, and that is why I am constantly sharing it with you all.

When I was going through it - and I'm talking anxiety attacks, weight loss, sleeping pills, therapy IT, I was blessed enough to have the support system I did. Ultimately, I got myself out of depression. It was my willingness to finally forgive myself, and eagerness to allow myself to be happy that did that. However, I can honestly say that without my friends, it would've been twice as hard. And so I vowed from that day forward to never abandon those I care for in their dire time of need. No matter how discouraging it may seem, I will stay in their corner, and hold their hand while they walk through helll.

The thing is, they have to want you in their corner. They have to reach out their hand to you. And this is where it gets tricky. One thing I learned just yesterday, was that you should never have to be alone, but everyone deals with demons differently. The ones that constantly need baby-sitting, never know their own strength. And the ones that refuse help are usually the ones that need it the most. So the only thing you really can do is just be there for them. Even if it means doing absolutely nothing at all.

Most of the time people don't need advice, they just need to know you haven't given up on them, or that they're not alone. And when they're ready to stop drowning themselves and swim back to shore, they'll let you know so you can toss 'em a life preserver.

And if they never do, just remember that "The only people you need in your life, are the ones that need you in theirs."

1 comment:

gailey said...

again and again, thank you for being in mine...

ps. id be there in the corner doing nothing but just being there.... even though im miles away.