Monday, February 28, 2011

Foodgasm of the Day - Social Kitchen & Brewery

Happy Monday everyone, hope the weekend was as good to you as it was good to me!

Yesterday, I had brunch with a few of my faves at Social Kitchen & Brewery on 9th and Irving. I broke my vow to not have beer until baseball season officially started Friday at the Warrior game so I figured why not. I was never one to follow the rules anyway lol. And after all was said and done (and drunk at 2pm lol) it was totally worth it.

We started it off with a beer sampler to celebrate "Strong beer month," who the fuck comes up with these things? Top - bottom: Double Doozy IPA, White Thai Affair, The Big Lebowski White Prussian, Big Muddy Weizenbock, and The Giant S'more. I had high hopes for the White Thai Affair because it contained lemon grass and galangal but it wasn't my favorite. The Giant S'more which was everyones choice at first, tasted similar to Guinness which I of course love, but my fave was actually the Muddy Weizenbock. With the White Prussian which I could drink for breakfast with toast at a close second. Do I sound like an alcoholic yet?
Breakfast of champions!
To be real honest with you, there were only 2 things that disappointed me about this place. 1) I was anticipating a "brunch" menu because brunch is my favorite meal of the day, but that has nothing to do with the restaurant anyway. 2) The menu selection is sparse. However, the few items they do have that we got were excellent. The brussel sprout chips below are kinda reason enough alone to visit Social Kitchen. Next to them are beer battered sweet potato fries. These are NOT your mothers brussel sprouts. They're fucking light, crispy, buttery, and like - RIDICULOUS. P.S. They peel each and every one by hand.
To make myself feel better from being a fat ass the entire weekend I opted for the Hanger Steak Cobb Salad, which was delicious. Steak, applewood smoked bacon, avocado, blue cheese, cherry box tomatoes, and a poached egg on top. The steak was PERFECT. Tender, juicy, and flavorful. I could've done with more avocado but that's only 'cuz I'm obsessed with it.
Ed got the loco moco burger with 2 patties, and 2 eggs, and a plethora of dipping sauces. I didn't get a chance to try it but judging by the happy food dance he did during the meal, I'm assuming it was good. I think I have more pictures of food than people on my phone btw.
For dessert, something similar to BJ's pizookie.
And bread pudding.
Now remember, while this place does serve food it IS a brewery so unless you live for brussel sprouts I don't suggest coming here if you don't like beer. It's kind of pointless. However, the building is beautifully structured, spacious, and clean. I esp love the lighting! If you ever go, check out the light fixtures above the bar and if you see the homie Tone, tell him Abi says hi :)

No comments: