Thursday, September 10, 2009

Underneath it All

For as long as I can remember, women have been intrigued, if not obsessed with makeup.

I remember peering over my moms vanity table when I was little in awe of the spectacle before me. Big, fluffy blush brushes, and tubes of the brightest magenta lipsticks were strewn all over. Then, there were pallettes amongst pallettes of shimmery eyeshadows and chunky electric blue eyeliner pens. Needless to say, it definitely was the 80s.

I believe my very first makeup purchase (actually I stole it from Walgreens, sorry mom!) was a tube of Revlon Blackberry lipstick. And I remember accidentally leaving it in my MOMS WHITE JEANS when they went in the dryer. I spent the rest of the day crying in the bathroom hand washing every stain in the tub. You would've thought I'd given up on makeup by then, but nooooo. In my junior year of hs I was finally introduced to eyeliner and I swore it was the best thing since sliced bread. But it wasn't until just recently, and I'm talking maybe the last 2 years or so that I officially became fascinated with makeup. And while I haven't touched more than half of the shit I've bought, and am wearing absolutely no makeup today (yikes!) - I stay watching makeup tutorials on YouTube.

Now, for as long as I can remember men have either misunderstood makeup, or hated it alltogether penning Drake's infamous "Sweat pants, hair tied, chillin' with no make-up on, That's when you're the prettiest, I hope that you don't take it wrong," line as their natural beauty loving creed. And I can definitely see the clout in that, because if I was a dude, the way my woman looks when I wake up next to her in the morning would be a big deal breaker.

But the point I'm trying to make here is unless u look like an entirely different person with and without makeup, I believe it's merely a fun way to bring out the beauty u already hold. We - or at least me and my friends are not trying to false advertise. If u have beautiful hazel eyes, why not wear an eyeliner in a color that makes it pop out even more? And if u have high cheekbones there's bronzers and blushes that can contour them and put even Cher to shame. I know all of that sounds like a foreign language to most dudes but in other words: I think most women use makeup to emphasize the pretty features they already have.

So now that I've attempted to clarify that misunderstanding, I'd like to hear a guys perspective on the whole "i like my girl better without makeup" concept. I actually do know a few girls who look better without makeup, but unless ur Jessica Alba or Adriana Lima who look gorgeous like all the fucking time, I'd definitely say that although most women are nowhere near hideous without makeup, they definitely look better with it on. And I ain't even gonna front, that's myself included - even if I do like myself better without. So if a girl is pretty without makeup, but even hotter with it on why is it that most guys still prefer them without?

P.S. As I mentioned in a previous blog, a persons looks is the first thing to grab one's attention but their personality is what makes them stay. But this time, I'm referring strictly to looks, capiche?

4 comments:

DJ CMC said...

peeep...as u know from my weekend, i did wake up to a makeup less beauty and that pretty much sealed the deal for me!

TganoD said...

i love makeup. i love love love it.

Anonymous said...

My take/opinion is this...

Makeup should be used to enhance and nothing more.

You should not feel compelled to wear it all of the time... you should not worry if it is absolutely perfect or not... and you definitely should not be one of those women whom has never allowed their boyfriend or husband (Yikes!) to see them without makeup on (yes, those stories are true).

I feel so different than others because if you introduced me to a room full of females... not one was wearing makeup... and you asked me, "What is missing here?" I honestly would not be able to tell you. I just do not pay that much attention to such things.

I will say this... I have met women whom look almost exactly the same with and without makeup. And I have met women who look completely different with and without makeup.

What does the above mean? Beautiful is beautiful no matter what.

I cannot speak for every man... but if a woman is beautiful then she just is (and yes, for once I am referring strictly about looks). No matter if it is the first time you have seen her. If looks attract you, then she is going to be beautiful and attractive in "Sweat pants, hair tied, chillin' with no make-up on."

I see absolutely nothing wrong with makeup but can probably say that if a woman is too concerned with it then it is not a good look.

Makeup is an accessory to me. But then again, as you know, I am not your average guy. I am probably going to notice your shoes or outfit before your eye shadow or the color of the polish on your nails (though I have found that I am definitely beginning to take notice of that more often now - thanks Abi).

And while I can certainly appreciate the extra effort women make (definitely - I relate it to always wearing sweats and a t-shirt... sometimes it is nice to see "more")... it simply is not necessary all of the time.

"Because if I was a dude, the way my woman looks when I wake up next to her in the morning would be a big deal breaker."

To me... that does not matter. Because quite frankly, I am not going to be waking up to anyone whom I am not feeling personality wise. So if I am waking up to her... she is going to look just as beautiful after removing her makeup... as she did prior to it.

(And that is real. She is still going to have my heart pretty makeup or not)

P.S. Women (girls)... worrying about your makeup... enh. Next time! ;)

Great post! Let us revisit this topic soon!

yoshi said...

i look like a chinese boy without make up.