Thursday, October 14, 2010

Not For Nothing

I remember watching John and Kate Plus 8 one time at my ex-boyfriends house. It was the Fourth of July episode and although Alexis Gosselin is ridiculously adorable, it was their Independence Day meal of crab and corn that stole my heart. For the next 12 hours after that, it was all I could think and speak of. And without even asking, that's what the bf cooked for dinner the following night - just because.

It reminded me of the time I picked him up from Bart with a bag of his favorite apple gummies in the center counsel for him - just because. Or that one time I hopped in his car to find a boquet of flowers waiting for me - just because. And while that relationship is over, I'll never get over the novelty of the "just because" or "for nothing" gift.

It's been a while since I've done or bought anything for any man just because ... and then? It happened. Just last night as matter of fact. Walked into one of my favorite places in the world, Target lol, and picked up some Neutrogena body wash, Oil of Olay moisturizer, Clean Linen Glade Plug-Ins, The Lost Boys on DVD 'cuz it was on sale for only $5.00 ... and then a car cd holder. You know, the kind you attach to your visor? Not because I needed one, but because everytime he makes a sharp turn all his CDs fall outta his visor sleeve and land on top of us.

What? It's happened at least three times. There's no need to cue Usher's U Got it Bad, or even T-Pain's I'm Sprung. Promise. It only cost $5.75 and I would've bought it for any of my friends. Buuuuut you're right, I didn't. I bought it for him. And while a functional (might I add very needed) CD holder doesn't exactly scream "OMG I want to be your girlfriend!" (at least I hope it doesn't), I do think the simple notion and thought behind it whispers, "Hi. I was thinking about you. I hope you think about me too" (at least I hope it does).

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The simple gesture could also say, "Your lazy ass is never gonna buy your own CD holder and I'm tired of shit falling in my lap so here thanks FOR NOTHING." I guess it all depends on the people involved. But to me, regardless of how it's taken, or what the gift is, as cliche as it sounds, it really is the thought behind it. I rather get a pair of $60 Giants bleacher tickets "for nothing," than a thousand dollar "i'm sorry" tennis bracelet.

Ultimately, a CD holder is just a CD holder. Not an engagement ring. Not a Macbook. Not even a pair of Js. But while a CD holder really isn't anything, it was done for nothing. And that to me? Definitely means something.

1 comment:

Yesi Jukebox said...

I so feel you on this post. I am one of those people that likes to give "Just because" gifts. I'd like to find someone who also thinks this way because it really is the small things that count.