Wednesday, May 26, 2010

On to the nEXt One

While I wouldn't exactly call myself a pessimist, I definitely have a hard time staying positive in the face of opposition. This does not mean I won't push forward and rise above it successfully, it just means I'll do it with a big cloud over my head until I finally see the light. This is true especially when it comes to relationships. But over time, I've come to (almost force myself to) learn that it's not a loss if you've found yourself. It's not a waste of time if you take things day by day. And most of all, it's not a failure if you've learned from it.

I refuse to be my past or let anybody else define me, but I give credit where credits due. And if it wasn't for some of the men in my past, I wouldn't be a better woman for the next one. More importantly, I wouldn't be a better woman for myself.

'Cuz HE let me know that love is a 2-way street and about give and take. HE made me realize that I do like slow dancing in parking lots and watching meteor showers while laying on the beach. HE let me know that I CAN love again. HE let me know that a relationship without intimacy is just friendship, while HE let me know I can't have intimacy without a relationship. HE taught me to say what I mean, mean what I say, and to be careful of the way I say it. And HE taught me that compromise doesn't mean throwing away your principles - it means being considerate of the other persons feelings. THEY taught me to be unselfish, romantic, and humble.

So when I break you off some to get your transmission fixed because you don't get paid until the 15th, when I pack you home made chicken adobo for lunch and stick a little post-it with a smiley face on your tupperware because I know how long your days are at work, and when I lower my voice, swallow my pride, and tell you I'm sorry because I know I haven't been as appreciative or considerate as I should be - don't thank me. Thank my exes.

Inspired by Man to the Next Man

No comments: